Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Things to do in 2012



Happy New Year!
On News Year's Eve, a friend made an interesting Facebook post.  He was explaining to his son that simply making resolutions is not enough -- a truly honorable person also takes steps towards achieving them.  As we rang in 2012, I was still thinking about the lesson he was conveying to his son.  Most of us never really do move forward to that planning stage then complain when we don't keep our resolutions.  

During the past month, I have been planning my first 2012 blog post and decided it would be a running list of things I want to do.  I don't expect to accomplish all of them during the next 12 months but to document them for myself and encourage long term planning. 
  1. Finish grad school
  2. Take a Wilton Cake Decorating class
  3. Compile a digital cookbook (complete with my own photographs) and share with family and friends
  4. Organize my photographs
  5. Take a hot air balloon ride
  6. Go to the top of the Sears tower (now the Willis Tower) and step out onto glass Skydeck
  7. See the Jellies exhibit at the aquarium (show ends May 2012)
  8. Write a novel
  9. Go on a photo safari
  10. Learn to change a tire
  11. Have a baby/adopt a child
  12. Remodel the bathroom
  13. Learn Korean (so I can communicate with my in-laws)
  14. Take more photographs 
  15. Volunteer at a food pantry
  16. Organize our closets and donate extra clothing
  17. Develop a "one in - one out" approach to purchasing 
  18. Create an exercise schedule and stick with it for at least 6 months
  19. Build and fly a kite
  20. Take a class to learn how to make stained glass
  21. Go on vacation in Ireland
  22. Visit Ellis Island & contemplate what it must have been like for Grandpa coming from Norway early in the 20th century
  23. Stop dwelling on past failures (this is a big one for me)
  24. Adjust the layout of the storage area and laundry room in the basement.
  25. Replace the front door of the house
  26. Attend a wine tasting
  27. Spend more time nurturing friendships 
  28. Decide what I need to do to be able to look back and say "I made a difference" - then set up a plan to achieve each task.  
  29. Tour the White House
  30. Rent or borrow a caravan and drive "the world's longest yard sale" from Alabama to Michigan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment