Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 13, 2012

5 Things I Would Tell My Younger Self

We all have a few things that we would do differently if given the opportunity to go back. Personally, I have hundreds of regrets (it is what I do) but I have narrowed down the list to 5 things I wish I could tell my younger self.




1.  Take care of yourself.

Poor food choices, ignoring pain, and disregarding symptoms - I did it all!  I could have saved myself a ton of pain, worry and money.  If I had gone to the dentist routinely, he might have caught the cavity when it was small and I wouldn't have spent a night in excruciating pain or needed a $700 root canal.

If I had questioned my symptoms earlier, I might have discovered my thyroid condition before it grew to 3 times the normal size.

If I had been paying attention to what I was doing rather than thinking about the upcoming weekend, I wouldn't have hurt my back picking up a child at work.  A bit like the frame of an automobile - once you hurt your back, it is never quite the same.

2.  Nurture high school friendships.

We all went our separate ways and missed out on some of the best parts of each other's lives.  Many of us felt a sense of loss at not having each other there during tough times (divorces, miscarriages, deaths).  Thanks to Facebook, we've reconnected now but I regret not being there.

3.  Finish college right away.

After 20 years, I finally completed my Bachelors degree but it was so much harder than I remember.  Not the classes, exactly, but balancing everything.  20 years ago, my day started at 6:30 a.m. - opening the day care center.  I worked until 8:30 when I would take the bus to college.  I returned around 3:00 and closed the day care.  Then I went next door and worked at a children's play center called Tunnels of Fun until they closed at 9 p.m.  I don't ever remember being tired.

4.  Don't give up on love.  

After two unsuccessful marriages, I found my perfect half.  He is not perfect, per se (don't want him to get a bit head) but perfect for me. Although painful, those relationships shaped who I would become so I wouldn't say to avoid them - just remember that every heart has a match.  Just wait - you'll find him.

5.  Finally, listen to your heart.

So many times I doubted myself and made the wrong choice.  Trust the voice in your head.  I've added up the stats and 99% of the time, it is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment