Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Update on "the kids" . . .

I grew up in a pet friendly home with lots of dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, and even a turtle my grandfather found along the side of the road.  Unfortunately, my mother said he smelled bad so he had to go!

Anna's favorite place to sleep
was on my pillow.
Anna, however, was the first pet that was my own.  She adopted me eight years ago.  She was 12 then and had spent nearly a year in a large room at Save-A-Pet.  I sat down on the bench next to her and we became fast friends.  She came home a few days later.  

When I got married and moved with my new husband to our home in the northwest Chicago suburbs, Anna adjusted quickly.  We had no idea how sick she would become.  After being diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes, she lived another year.  Eventually her little body gave out and we made our final trip to the veterinarian's office.  With one small injection, she laid her head in my hand and was gone.  Even now nearly a year later, the pain is still very raw.  She was a wonderful friend who lived to be nearly 19 years old - pretty old for a shelter cat.   


Our baby, Jackson. 
Shortly after Anna's passing, a new baby arrived. Jackson is so different from Anna - loud, active, and always running!!!  He has his moments when he wants to be petted and cuddled, unfortunately, that is usually around 3 a.m.  He doesn't hesitate, however, to wake you up so you don't miss the moment.  I complain about him but love him none the less.  Some day I will have to tell you about him getting stuck in the fireplace -- crazy cat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment