Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Thinking . . . SPRING

For Christmas this year, hubby bought me a four foot grow light.  I have used improvised lights in the past but this is my first "real" one.  I was so excited today thinking about all the wonderful possibilities for the next planting season.

Let me step back for a just a moment.  Last year I purchased my seeds in February and dutifully started them in little seed starters, misted them with water 2 - 3 times a day and placed them in my window.  I even devised a makeshift "ledge" for them with an old door.  (Thankfully hubby was oblivious to the intrusion).


As you can see, they quickly became very leggy.  I replanted them into larger containers up to their leaves but only the tomatoes, peppers, and a few cucumbers survived.  I lost all the flowers I had started early.



So, this year I am anticipating a greater percentage of success - with my new grow light.  Perhaps even starting some of perennial flowers in a few weeks so they are large and substantial come late spring.  I know that geraniums do well as house plants as I have grown them in the past.  I'll have to do some research and see about others.

Anyway, hubby purchased the Jump Start Grow Light System  for me via Amazon.  I'll post pictures once we have cleared away the holiday things and I have a chance to set it up and try it out.  So exciting . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment